Sunday, April 15, 2012

...nostalgia

It creeps up on you.

I know, I know, age is just a number, but the way you notice how the gap is to starting to form between your generation and the now....well, it's unsettling. It happens to me sometimes: during the usual commute to work, I see a vacant lot or a new building being constructed, and then I wonder what was there before.

You think that kids nowadays are dressing lousier than ever (and you notice that you don't classify yourself as a "kid" in any context whatsoever).

You get befuddled by all the new technology that's sweeping everyone off their feet.

I had a particularly bad moment when I tuned in to the radio and found a show called "Retro 90's" featuring songs from the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys. Seriously. Retro?!

And there was a time when I thought that the grown-up world was still very, very far away. 


When did this happen?

Has the present world become really bad or am I just beset by the so-called quarter life crisis?

See,this is why I love books. The characters develop, awful things sometimes happen to them, but there's almost always an ending that wraps up the loose ends. At the end of the story, you have the choice to start over. 

But that's just me, griping. 

(Image credit of Jay Tablante: The Tea After-Party)

No comments:

Post a Comment